- 1 Technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene foam
- 2 Technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene foam
- 3 Styrofoam - characteristics and application in construction
Technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene foam
Technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene foam today make it possible to create a truly high-quality thermal insulation. Possessing similar to the foam characteristics, the material is much greater than its consumer properties. It is more convenient to install, does not crumble and does not take a lot of storage space in the room.
Extruded polystyrene is used for insulation of the ceiling, walls and floor space
General information about foamed polystyrene
For the production of extruded polystyrene foam, the characteristics of which depend on the material thickness and density of the granules used. They consist of a polymer having the name polystyrene. In the production process, the pellets are melted, and at a certain pressure the mass begins to boil forming foam. The mixture was added at this point special plasticizing additives, freon or carbon dioxide mixture. The liquid mass flows into special molds, where it is compressed. After complete solidification of the finished material is cut into a standard slab. About 90% of the total volume of the plate is air, and that caused original specifications extruded polystyrene.
Table Performance extruded polystyrene
Standard sizes Penoplex plates have a relatively narrow range. The length of one plate 1000, 1250 or 2000 mm, its width is 500 or 600 mm, but the thickness varies in a much broader range of 2 to 10 cm. In addition, they have differences in device and the side surfaces. In addition, there are straight edges and construction "in spike", which allows for more tightly laid material, if necessary. The internal structure of the plate is a large number of small air bubbles like foam, but in contrast, these granules comprise integrally, as interconnected in all directions. It is this and not allow the material to crumble as its predecessor.
Helpful advice! For insulation of external walls of buildings it is desirable to use a plate having protrusions at the edges. This will provide better protection from freezing.
Different areas of the use of extruded polystyrene foam
Scope of a material such as penoplex not limited to purely domestic needs. It is used, and with success, for thermal insulation of prefabricated constructions of shopping centers, hangars, warehouses and even small industrial buildings. Extruded polystyrene, technical harakteristikikotorogo consider later, has the following indisputable advantages by anyone:
- The material is produced in a very convenient format for consumers of varying thickness, that allows to select the best option for being like this or that problem.
- Plates are very light. With increasing density of the weight varies from 20 to 50 kg / m 3.
- Manufacturers assure us that the plates can last 50 years without any changes in the structure.
- Ecological purity of the material.
- Chemical resistance.
- Very low moisture absorption.
- And technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene, and the price is very attractive. After 1 m 3 of the material now costs from 60 USD
Plates of extruded polystyrene have high chemical resistance
In comparison, for example, from basalt wool penoplex it has a higher thermal conductivity, that affects its ability to keep warm. In addition, some types have a low compressive strength. These facts may be considered drawbacks of this material. Another, less can be considered:
- Low permeability to steam, creating a greenhouse effect in the room. In homes where there is no ventilation system, it will be very hard to breathe because of the closeness and have to constantly ventilate the room.
- Extruded polystyrene foam, specifications and price which are in good combination will have a thickness of 2 - 3 cm. These plates have a very weak sound insulating qualities. For this reason, they can not be used for soundproofing purposes.
- Polyvinyl chloride is a "killer" of expanded polystyrene. Prolonged contact of these substances gradually destroys the latter.
- Penoplex very poorly protected from exposure to ultraviolet radiation, which makes it impossible to use in public places.
The use of extruded polystyrene foam for thermal insulation of building foundation
Helpful advice! In the design of insulation systems need to always pay attention to the density of Penoplex. The higher it is, the higher the conductivity. Therefore, to achieve an optimal effect at a constant density thermal barrier qualities can be modified by increasing the thickness of the sheets. This makes pre-calculate the necessary amount of space that will be "donated" to the heat.
Technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene foam
For a full understanding of the whole picture, you need to understand in more detail in the technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene foam. They are more than sufficient for insulation. The object of any insulation is to maintain the heat in the heated room. Since heat transfer rate varies according to the laws of thermodynamics, depending on the density of the substance, it is obvious that the gases have lower thermal conductivity than solids. Since the thermal conductivity of air 0.026 W / m * ° C. Penoplex, being 90% air mixture, this indicator has a 0.030 W / m * ° C. The difference is tiny. It speaks of his lovely ability to retain heat.
Polystyrene plates are mounted on the wall using a special adhesive
Penopolistirlol produced with a large range of densities. It varies among different products from 25 to 47 kg / m 3. This rate greatly affects the strength of the material, which increases with increasing density from 20000 to 50000 kg / m 2. Penoplex is a material which absorbs water very poorly. 28 days plate can absorb liquid only 0.4% of its volume, and then the process stops completely.
Index factor such as vapor permeability, is only 0.0128 mg / (h * m * Pa). It does, in some cases, an optional additional layer vapor barrier device for installation of separate systems. The ability to withstand low to - 50 ° C and higher to + 75 ° C temperature allows the use of this type of heater in virtually any climate. However, polystyrene quite flammable. Depending on the amount of added flame retardant therein, flammability class may vary from T1 to T4.
Penoplex widely used for insulation of balconies and loggias
Some brands of extruded polystyrene foam, the characteristics of which is beyond praise, have also T - shaped groove on the edges. It is necessary for a more snug fit panels to each other by increasing the insulation joints. This circumstance does not form bridges between such products cold.
With Penoplex conducted tests, consisting in repeated freezing and thawing of wet plates. Most of the tests showed that the plate can withstand up to 80 such cycles, which in practice may correspond to the number of years of operation.
Expanded polystyrene is used for interior and exterior construction work
When compared with the material in its fellow foam immediately rush dramatic differences in the eye. They arose as a result of the production of Penoplex modern unique technology which allowed us to make this material a thin and durable. Indeed, to achieve the same effect, the foam layer must be doubled as compared with the layer Penoplex, and, moreover, to put two rows not to create cold bridges at the seams.
If you compare with other polystyrene foam insulation, the characteristics such as acoustic permeability, it is losing some of them. , But it has no equal for ease of installation. It is much easier to lay rigid sheets, than to suffer with soft rolls of mineral wool.
Warming of the roof attic space polystyrene plates
Helpful advice! During the construction of baths or saunas never use for thermal insulation of extruded polystyrene. Its characteristics are such that do not allow it to place in conditions where the room temperature rises above + 75 ° C.
Technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene foam allow it to be used in virtually all areas of the construction sector, regardless of the region of the object. He is equally well show itself as a small balcony or a loggia in the apartment, and in the walls of a huge shopping complex. Therefore, its use is more than justified.
Extruded polystyrene (video)
OSB Sheets: thickness and dimensions, prices and specifications
Specifications, dimensions and prices of foam blocks
Wall panel MDF: prices, catalog photo ideas and the basic specifications
Dimensions cinder block and specifications
What a substrate under a laminate better views, features and specifications
Waterproof laminate flooring 12mm 33 class, Germany: specifications, manufacturers and price
Technical characteristics of extruded polystyrene foam
Many of us probably at least once heard of a material such as extruded polystyrene. However, not everyone knows about its characteristics, which give it a special uniqueness. It is they who have contributed to its spread in various fields, including construction, plumbing, interior design, construction of roads and so forth. Let's try to figure out what is this stuff and how it differs from the competition.
What is extruded polystyrene
This material is known for a long time, because it invented more than 60 years ago. Extruded polystyrene is a continuation of improvement of building and insulating materials. In fact, it is plastic, the difference of which is the presence of a uniform cellular structure. EPG sheet manufacturing technology consists in mixing polystyrene beads, carried out in conditions of high pressure and temperature, which is accompanied by the addition of the foaming component.
The latter can be used as a mixture of light and carbon dioxide refrigerants. Further, the resulting composition begin to extrude out of the extruder. The result is a finished product, presented in the form of transparent or colored sheets. Before you can use it to solve certain tasks, plates necessarily dry. Extruded polystyrene is offered for sale in the form of plastic sheets, which are continuously exposed to ultraviolet rays. The uniqueness of this product is largely due to its excellent thermal insulating qualities and strength, which fails to achieve through the use of special technology, and of uniform composition and structure represented in the form of small cells.
If you try to find out what chemicals are included in the extruded polystyrene foam, it can be seen that in this respect he very similar to the foam. But this is not surprising, given that he and the other set up on the basis of polystyrene. At the same time the foam is unable to compete with extruded polystyrene according to his capabilities. Broad functionality of this material is associated with the features used method of its production. The main difference from the foam may be mentioned that the production of the latter is not used extruder. However, precisely because of the extrusion polymer, and an opportunity to purchase a brand new property.
As melting granules connected to each other, forming homogeneous viscous mass, whereby the raw material starts to gradually acquire consistency viscous-flow. With the passage of the subsequent stages of the production of this material does not change its state, which provide stability unbreakable intermolecular bonds. If we analyze the microstructure of the extruded polystyrene, it is totally discrete and presented in the form of cells containing the gas inside. Due to the fact that this material has pores, it resistant to steam and moisture absorption. Just these qualities and has a porous foam.
With the advent of the material people have a unique opportunity to create structures that have previously inaccessible properties. Such an effect is provided of extruded polystyrene foam characteristics, among which the following must be highlighted:
- This material is capable of absorbing moisture, so, if we put a match plate in the water, already after the first 10 days of the material ceases to absorb it. Tightness agent excludes water from entering the structure of the material. It can only fill cells arranged on the sides.
- Among all the available EPG insulating materials has the lowest thermal conductivity.
- This material differs from the conventional polystyrene that is more brittle and at the same time less ductile.
- For the EPP is characterized by the property to pass through itself light.
- Material exhibits excellent properties of compressive strength.
- EPG is not only resistant to the critically low temperatures, but also protected from decay processes.
- Material exhibits neutrality with respect to many chemicals, including acids, oils, caustic lye, salt solutions, alcohol and containing dyes, cement, ammonia, butane, paraffin and so on.
- An important quality of EIT is its environmental friendliness.
Why the need for extruded polystyrene?
Inherent characteristics of extruded polystyrene, and determine solutions for any problems it can be used. You can allocate the following scope, in which the plate may be used made of extruded polystyrene foam:
- You can create waterproofing and perform a number of construction works with the help of this material. Also, it is applicable for the construction of basements, foundations, roofs and floors;
- Effectively solves the problem of creating a thermal insulation;
- It can be used in the construction of building envelopes;
- One purpose is to use a material for insulation. Performing work on the construction of roads and main paths, the use of such material allows to make the coating less susceptible to deformation, to protect the soil from freezing to prevent the emergence of "ice lenses".
- Quite effectively it can cope with the role of the glass: in such an appointment can be used for windows, sanitary ware, as well as in agriculture and trade.
- Can effectively solve the problems with the use of EPP plates in areas such as the construction of civil and industrial purposes, private construction, refrigeration industry, construction of highways and various utilities.
Advantages of extruded polystyrene foam
Technical characteristics that the material has a greater degree of manifested in the form of benefits, chief among which are the following:
- Resistance to a critical low temperature and neutral to the rotting process allows the EPG to withstand tough operating conditions of the Russian climate.
- Due to resistance to temperature fluctuations extruded polystyrene can be placed for storage in the street without a protective shelter.
- EPP is characterized long service life, thanks to which he can not lose their properties for over 50 years.
- Slabs of this material is characterized by a lack of difficulties in installation.
- Material It has an affordable price, it can be used for various purposes by the overwhelming majority of our population.
- This material manifestation found unique properties that determine its popularity. Such a plastic is able to replace conventional hydro and thermal insulation, as well as various objects and structures.
- EPG is not harmful to health, which is also a positive effect on its application.
- Slabs of this material have a very small thickness (about 20 mm) than favorably with those of the foam and mineral wool, whose figures are 30 m and 40 mm, respectively.
Features of use and choice of material
Although extruded polystyrene has a lot of positive qualities, yet its effective use is recommended to take into account some important points, concerning its operation.
- Plates EPG capable of exhibiting high durability in the temperature range from - 50 degrees to + 75 degrees. Only in such a temperature interval polystyrene keeps unchanged its physical and thermal performance.
- The sheets of material may be installed directly at the construction stage of the object, or an additional layer of insulation can be created based on it during finishing.
- The features are relatively storage: when placed in the open air, it is desirable not to extract it from the "native" package, and keep it to be in those places where it will not be exposed to direct sunlight.
- Carefully follow the approach to the choice of adhesive. It is important to ensure that the latter did not cause harm to the plastic.
Each owner must strictly follow the rules of the EPG use. If we ignore them, then choosing the wrong type of adhesive may be faced with such unpleasant phenomenon of shrinkage of plates. must be avoid sharing extruded polystyrene foam with the following materials:
- Paint thinners;
- Coal tar;
- Oil toluene;
- ethyl acetate;
- Water-based materials, which timber is processed in order to protect it, and also containing solvents.
Not to be mistaken with a choice of extruded polystyrene, it is first necessary to look beyond the price and get acquainted with the product quality certificates. In the absence of documents it is likely that you offer cheap analogues, the use of which may not only adversely affect the performance of the structure or object, but also harm your health.
Over the last few years in the United States do not resort to foam when carrying out work previously performed by using it. More and more countries are moving away from the use of ineffective materials, preferring extruded polystyrene. This trend is gradually observed in our country.
extruded polystyrene material is highly to the job. Despite its versatility, the choice must pay attention to its characteristics and requirements are met. We should not hurry to find a replacement, since the majority of the parameters it is superior to all other materials of a similar type.
Styrofoam - characteristics and application in construction
Modern, tech, and has a set of different functions extruded polystyrene rightly earned the title of unique material. In construction, sanitary ware, decorating the road works and many more areas with the advent of extruded polystyrene has come a new era. We see what kind of stuff, and what are its features.
What is extruded polystyrene. Unlike conventional EPG polystyrene (Styrofoam)
The material appeared more than six decades ago. Extruded polystyrene (also known as extruded polystyrene foam) - a new word in the production of universal construction and insulating materials. This plastic, characterized by a uniform structure, consisting of small (approximately 0.1-0.2 mm), closed cells. To receive the EPG sheet at high pressure and temperature produce mixing polystyrene beads, while introducing the blowing agent. They can act as a mixture of light and carbon dioxide refrigerants. The mixture was then extruded from the extruder. Subtotal work - transparent or colored sheet. After drying, the plates are ready for use. Extruded polystyrene - a plastic sheet, operating under the influence of ultraviolet exposure of a permanent nature. Due to the method used in the production, composition and homogeneity of the structure of the obtained material (closed cell structure), the sheets become high thermal insulation and strength characteristics.
Extruded polystyrene is related to the chemical composition of the foam, because they have a single "ancestor" - polystyrene. But here in functionality with extruded polystyrene foam does not compare. He is an order of magnitude ahead of his fellow polymer. The reason lies in the fundamental differences between the production technology of these materials. The foam does not pass through the extruder, and the EPP - passes. Extrusion of the polymer gives a completely different vector conversion, and hence other properties and qualities. First, the pellets are melted to form a homogenous, viscous mass, transferring the raw material from a solid to a viscous fluid state. All further changes are a single liquid-phase material having a non-breaking intermolecular bonds. The microstructure of the EPG, which is a common chemical with cells filled with gas, due to the absence of pores and does not absorb moisture vapor from the outside, in contrast to the porous foam.
Surprisingly, this material exhibits a unique combination of qualities which before people could only dream of.
- Virtually no water absorption even when fully submerged plates in water it is only the first 10 days. Since the substance of the cell are sealed, the water in any of its states can not go inside, filling the only side open "cell."
- The low thermal conductivity of EPP (much less than that of other insulating materials.
- More fragile and less ductility, compared with foamed polystyrene.
- The ability of a material to transmit light.
- High rates of resistance to compression.
- Frost resistance, does not rot.
- Resistance to chemicals: water, acids, oils, caustic alkali, salt solutions, bleach, alcohol and dyes based on it, fluorinated hydrocarbons, cement, ammonia, CO2, propane, acetylene, butane, paraffin.
- Protection for human health.
The scheme of the construction of extruded polystyrene
Why the need for extruded polystyrene
The scope of application of extruded polystyrene are directly dependent on its properties. Specifications slabs of extruded polystyrene allow to apply them:
- as construction material and waterproofing simultaneously. In designs basements, foundations, roofs and floors;
- as thermal insulation elements;
- for the construction of building envelopes (in the street, maybe an EPG is not afraid to temperature changes);
- as a universal heater. In road construction and the construction of the trunk and the EPG provides the coating resistance to deformation, prevents soil freezing, formation of "ice" lenses.
- as a "window": in conventional windows in sanitary devices (showers, bathrooms) in agrootrasli (greenhouses, conservatories, light diffusers) to trade (stand, a price tag, a showcase, and the like);
EPP plates used in the civil and industrial, private construction, in the refrigeration industry, in the construction of highways and all engineering structures (heating pipes, water pipes, oil pipelines).
Advantages of the extrusion of polystyrene
- The ability to use the EPG in the Russian climate, due to frost or rotting.
- The ability to store extruded polystyrene on the street, because it is not afraid to temperature changes.
- The durability of the material: it can last up to 50 years (on the street).
- Easy mounting plates.
- Reasonable price. Buy EIT will virtually all Russians.
- The unique combination of material characteristics.
- Possibility to dispense with the use of plastic without additional hydro and thermal insulation, additional protection structures.
- Ecological purity of the material.
- EPG thin plates (about 20 mm), as compared with 30mm thick foam, mineral wool or 4cm thickness.
Features of use and choice of material.
- Long-term operation of an extruded polystyrene foam is guaranteed in a temperature range from -50 * C to 75 * C. It is in this gap temperature physical and thermal properties EPG unchanged.
- Extruded polystyrene can mount directly sheets during construction of the object, or to put an additional layer of insulation in the building already during finishing.
- Keep material recommended in the open air, in the "native" package, not in direct sunlight.
- Before applying the adhesive, it is necessary to understand, whether it will harm plastic. Rules for the use of EPG is important because when you use the wrong glue boards may shrink or soften. Not suitable for the installation of extruded polystyrene foam:
- paint thinners;
- coal tar (based adhesives and derivatives thereof);
- Oil toluene;
- ethyl acetate;
- means with aqueous base used for the protection of wood and having a composition of solvents.
Process EPG pmontazha
In the United States, where he first received the EPG, the use of foam already prohibited. The global trend of gradual replacement of ineffective materials extruded polystyrene developing in Russia.
Video - ekstrudionny polystyrene