- 1 Boxes for storage of fruits
- 2 Storage of vegetables in the winter on the balcony: cellar, box oven
- 3 Boxes for vegetables: convenient storage in the kitchen products
Boxes for storage of fruits
Many of us are owners of suburban areas, and even country houses. Growing in such territory their fruits and vegetables, we want to get a good crop of quality products to our table.
Vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, beets and others, can be kept fresh until at least the middle of winter, and even until the next harvest. But that they maintained the highest level of vitamins, and the fruits are not spoiled, we must know how to do it. In particular, for the storage of vegetables used specifically designed for this purpose boxes. They come in a variety of species - let's find out what!
Boxes for storing vegetables in the cellar
The perfect place for this purpose is the cellar or basement. Due to its microclimate underground room makes it possible to keep a long time there, most vegetables, so that they do not fade, do not germinate and did not freeze slightly. And for a more convenient and compact arrangement of different kinds of vegetables use different containers:
- wooden boxes - they can store absolutely any vegetables and hard fruits. Such packaging is very strong and has a long lifespan, but the wood is subject to decay;
- plastic boxes - fit, if you in the cellar is too wet. Plastic is convenient to wash and disinfect. Distinguish two and trehtortsovye boxes;
- also often use wicker boxes and baskets that are compactly arranged on the cellar shelves. In such containers can hold the onion, garlic, root vegetables. The main advantage of wicker boxes - Ventilation: vegetables are well ventilated and thus longer lie.
Storage boxes of vegetables on the balcony
Cellars can become a substitute for a normal balcony. It is desirable that it be insulated or even glazed - most vegetables are best preserved at zero temperature. But even if you do not have a loggia, and the usual open balcony, where you can still keep the vegetables. It is only necessary to select the appropriate option for you:
- deep wooden boxes for storage of vegetables such as potatoes, cabbage, beets, that can "hide" under the seat high pouf or balcony the sofa;
- Metal boxes for storage of vegetables - they look like a large and roomy trunk. Manufactured industrially, such containers create optimum conditions of temperature, humidity and air circulation for better storage of vegetables;
- homemade boxes not less convenient. You can insulate any wooden or plastic box, paving the insulation from the inside, and make holes for ventilation;
- more practical embodiment the box is heated to store vegetables in the balcony. The heat source in this capacity acts as a low-power hair dryer that will be switched on and off automatically by a relay or a conventional incandescent bulb.
Boxes for storing vegetables in the kitchen
Not all of us have the ability to store vegetables in the cellar, and many owners of apartments on the ground floor do not even have a balcony! It remains only option - the kitchen, where vegetables are stored either in the refrigerator or in specially designed boxes.
The refrigerator has a special compartment for vegetables, where to put the perishable vegetables.
As for the boxes, their equipment and appearance will accordingly depend on the size and design of your kitchen:
- advanced design techniques allow to equip the kitchen area built storage systems: with the door closed, no one would suspect that within these lockers are vegetables;
- it may be just the drawers built-in or freestanding cabinet - there it is recommended to keep the vegetables are well kept warm (for example, pumpkin or tomato);
- if your kitchen is decorated in the style of Provence or rustic, the wicker drawers for vegetables and you can not hide from prying eyes - they, on the contrary, underline a special comfort food.
Copying information is permitted only with the direct and indexed reference to the source
Storage of vegetables in the winter on the balcony: cellar, box oven
Despite the fact that in winter there are some difficulties in terms of conservation of some products, the correct approach, you have the right number of options to deal with potential problems. Warm storage boxes of vegetables on the balcony of the apartments have long been widespread among our fellow citizens.
Traditions of storing potatoes and other fruits and vegetables (apples, carrots, beets), and jam jars with sauerkraut and other conservation at home we have - a very long time. Our grandparents had done so every year since then, as far as volume stocks managed to collect for the winter, determined in many ways, if not the survival, then at least, the power level. Today - very different times, and most of the products available in supermarkets. Nevertheless, the tradition of creating unique homemade "vegetable store" will not go away, though, and has become much less popular than before.
Today, most people live in apartments, not in the village houses as before. Accordingly, the storage conditions today - much more constrained when compared with those who were in the barns in the village. Options are not many, and one of the most common is a cellar for storage of vegetables on the balcony.
Reasons many people love to create reserves - very different. Here are some of them:
- Confidence that grown on beds their own country - a lot better in terms of purity and ecology.
- Lower cost of vegetables that can be bought at the farmers market in the fall, but not to go every once in a local supermarket.
- Someone have friends or relatives in the villages or having your own vacation / holiday home which periodically "supply" the gifts of nature: potatoes, cabbage, beets, peppers, seaming and so on. All this must be stored somewhere.
Most balconies and loggias in multi-storey buildings are not heated. So you have to find a way out of their situation, creating a robust "refrigerators" that will help keep the harvest, preventing freezing in the cold and ensuring the proper storage temperature. However, in addition, the actual temperature and the design of the cold box on the balcony of the cold, you should consider many other things.
Here are a number of conditions that are necessary for the successful preservation of the contents of the subsequent:
- In order to store winter vegetables (potatoes, carrots, cabbage and more), they should be collected properly. Should be collected in dry weather.
- After that, the harvest should lie down in a dry place.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight.
- It is important to sort of external damage and damaged items. Otherwise, all your efforts to create a box for the potatoes on the balcony can be futile: this crop is simply lost.
Tip! In any case, the storage should be provided with high-quality ventilation: access and air circulation will prolong the "lifetime" of the crop.
By the way, there is another important condition. This is to ensure the proper level of humidity, which must be small, not exceeding 50%.
By design, all such systems are divided into 2 main types:
- Flexible Heating Cabinets for storage of vegetables. They vaguely resemble the great warm bag, made on the basis of the textile. Termomeshka obvious advantage is that at the end of the winter season it can be folded, thus saving a lot of space.
- Insulated boxes, which constitute a solid structure made of a particular material. Most often used timber (board, plywood, OSB plates, etc.).
Cache from the old refrigerator
In addition, various places are classified depending on the material from which they are made (wooden, waterproof durable fabric, plastic, with a metal frame), as well as the fact whether there is for such a heating storage or not. The volume they can also be different, sometimes they are different shelf position (horizontal or vertical).
On a note! For additional convenience and use of free space from the top of such containers have been made by Winter bench and sometimes - even a small sofa, a summer which serve as benches where to sit and rest.
As for the structures without additional electric heating, it is best to use them in places where there is no direct contact with the frosty air. In other words, we are talking about porches, common corridors, glazed balconies and so on. Although, in some enclosed balconies it is better to install a heated warm box, preferably equipped with a thermostat. Thanks to the latter, you have the opportunity to adjust the temperature of the air inside. Range can vary, for example, from 0 to 10 degrees, depending on which products you are going to store there. The level of consumption of electricity from them, respectively, will also be different. In any case, it will be more reliable, the vegetables in this Lara does not freeze, and banks with sauerkraut or pickled mushrooms - do not burst from the cold.
Keep the vegetables on a balcony in the winter it is possible and in a flexible container which is vaguely reminiscent of a large bag or backpack. Such designs are very practical, since, as already mentioned, they can be removed or temporarily transferred if necessary. Some models are equipped with a heating thermostat. On the other hand, you can make a box of vegetables on the balcony with his own hands, which is not true of soft bags made which, in most cases, carried out the industrial way. These things are usually better to buy in the store than to do yourself. With all the practicality of the bag, thermos not be done ottoman, sofa or seat. So, all types of structures have their advantages and disadvantages. Everyone chooses their own, based on their conditions and requirements.
As to what temperature can withstand similar designs. It all depends on a number of criteria, including how a vegetable insulated cabinet, whether it has additional insulation, if the balcony is open or closed, and so on. In any case, it is better not to store products at a temperature of -30C or below. Incidentally, this same recommendation applies to the insulation, since the excessively warm weather, potatoes and other vegetables may be subject to damage. Desirably, the cellar walls are thin and do not perform the function of the isotherm and at positive temperatures.
you can make a box for potatoes on the balcony with his own hands, without ordering it from outside experts if desired. The simplest design is not equipped with heating and power. Before proceeding to more detailed step by step instructions, it is necessary in general to consider the main recommendations relating to the manufacture, installation and site selection.
In those cases, when you are a proud owner of a fairly spacious balcony or loggia, and if you plan to store vegetables every winter, it makes sense to think about creating a lasting stationary cellar, which will be able to last for several years.
Recommendation! In some cases, you can use the materials at hand, as well as remnants of boards or plywood, which are around at the cottage or in the garage.
Care should be taken to potatoes (or other vegetables) does not come into contact with the brick, concrete and other similar materials, as this may cause decomposition and, consequently, spoilage. To this end and side surfaces, and the "floor" of the winter storage box must be trimmed with other materials. Best of all, if it is wood.
In those cases, when it comes about Khrushchev or other similar accommodations with balcony a small area, you can make a container with vertical load. The cover, thus, can be further warmed, since it is through the greatest heat loss can occur over. Alternatively, it can be finished from inside the foil, or just cover the lid with any material, such as a blanket, a blanket, old jacket and so on.
As we can see, options for making a box for storing potatoes in the winter on the balcony with his hands - a lot. Focus on one of them, which may be the most versatile and go for almost any apartment. So, we list the main stages of self-production:
- The first step is carefully measure the space your balcony. This will help understand exactly what you have options and to make sure that there can be prepared a certain structure of the sample and sizes.
- Try to plan everything so that the depth of your cellar does not exceed 0.7 meters. Otherwise (in the vertical loading), vegetable extract or cans therefrom will solve seaming. Especially - from the very bottom. Capacity, in any case, must be "content" it is enough for a decent volume.
- Prepare the boards for the chassis, as well as plywood, chipboard or MPS for cladding walls future. According to avoid the emergence and spread of mold and mildew in the future, cover them with varnish or a special compound. After drying in the ground to mark their cut.
- Total, you should have 4 rack that will determine the height of the drawer, as well as 12 horizontal (2 on each surface, including on the cover).
- When nails or screws are building frames carrying both the container and the lid, which will cover it.
- Then take a sheet material which is prepared you assume that this plywood, and cut out of it to the surface 2 of each face of the structure: cap, main and side walls, as well as of the day. Inner sheets, thus, must be less than 100 mm. in each plane.
- Cut out of the insulation (Styrofoam or expanded polystyrene) panels for the lid 6, bottom, front and rear walls, respectively. Alternatively, the stone can be used (mineral) wool. Desirably, thus that mineral wool is sufficiently dense. Secure all obsheyte skeleton sheets of plywood. Then fabricate the lid following the same technology.
- Loop can be used for fastening the lid. On the other hand, it is assumed that it was just rented.
- Finally, from the outside can be treated received a warm box with a special varnish. It will help keep the wood from atmospheric moisture.
So he prepared a locker. It should be noted that the final assembly of the whole structure is better to produce already on the balcony. Otherwise, it may happen that it simply will not fit into the balcony door or window.
Proper storage of vegetables on the balcony in the winter assumes the presence of a good microclimate. First, you can make small holes, or periodically open cellar. Secondly, it is possible to make a simple "heating" system. Doing next to cover the small slot, you can, if necessary (eg in case of a sharp drop in temperature in the street) put to incandescent bulbs, so-called "portability". One Moina lamp, for example, 100 watts, will be sufficient to provide extra heating inside. Start it on the balcony, you can use the ordinary extension. The switch must be installed inside the apartment, so you did not need each time to go on a cold balcony or loggia.
Tip! Alternatively, you can use the old non-working refrigerator. Even in this state it has good insulating properties. Besides, he already has a working door. You can also apply a converted old furniture or packaging of a dense foam.
You just turn on the light, nothing more. The design - a very simple, but at the same time, it is quite effective. Even one bulb is enough to ensure that the vegetables are frozen inside the box. Besides, you can not turn on a light bulb on a permanent basis. Let it run for a few hours and then you can disable it. It is possible to include, in particular, and at night, when the outside temperature drops significantly.
Large "box" can be divided into sections
Consumption of electricity, provided that the light will shine (and thus heat the interior space of the balcony box) changeably not exceed reasonable limits. But you'll know for sure that all those in this oven vegetables, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, peppers, beets and others, will be, firstly, dry, and, secondly, they do not freeze. If the consumption of electricity does not bother you, then there is an option instead of (or both) with an incandescent lamp and use a regular hair dryer. Its plus is that it heats much stronger and pumps hot air much faster. In addition, it can also be controlled remotely from the room.
It is important to understand! When using lights or electrical appliances should be with special attention to security issues.
To provide additional thermal insulation in the case of particularly severe frosts can make an additional thermal insulation, encased balcony "cellar" with blankets or heavy clothing. Yes, and it should not be put on the cold concrete balcony slab, and on a sheet of chipboard thick, dense foam and other similar surfaces. Alternatively, it is possible to install a thermometer with a sensor located inside the language. This way you will control the internal temperature. These are interesting, but at the same time, simple ideas, everyone can use. The main thing - be smart and not afraid to solve tasks. All this will help to keep your harvest until spring safe and secure.
Photo examples of what may be the drawer fridge for vegetables on the balcony. Click to view larger image:
Most people who give birth to the cottage itself, is well aware that it must be not only a place to work and the cultivation of the crop, but the most corners where you can relax from the busy city and enjoy the beautiful views of nature and the land.
Wild animals and birds that live in nature, can not rely on the fact that in winter it someone will help them as exactly how their domesticated "brethren."
Each of us loves the beautifully decorated interior. This commitment is particularly in demand in the cases where the interior design solutions affect the good mood and joy for our loved ones.
Every conscientious owner must take care of the comfort of their pets, guided by the famous quote from "The Little Prince": "We are responsible for those who have tamed."
Sooner or later, before most of us are faced with the task of buying new furniture, including chairs. At the same time, it does not always make sense to buy new furniture to a sufficiently high price, because we can restore the old chairs.
- about the project
- Site Map
Citation of data is allowed only when specifying an active indexable attribution.
Boxes for vegetables: convenient storage in the kitchen products
Vegetables are the basis of the traditional diet all year round, so that the provision of proper storage conditions - is not just a matter of rationality, but also common sense.
Not everyone knows that vegetables can be stored not only in special warehouses, but also at home, in the basement, on the balcony or just in the kitchen.
Features storage of different vegetables
Even in an ordinary apartment in a residential building can organize proper storage of food, just need to know how to do it. Quite possible to limit the temperature and humidity in the home, especially since the "winter" vegetables to organize still much easier than storing a juicy fruit or berries.
Fresh cabbage - not the easiest vegetable, when it comes to the organization of storage, the best preserved sauerkraut, especially since it remains almost all vitamins. Fresh cabbage require low storage temperatures - from -1 to + 1 ° C, and a high relative humidity in the room - 90-98%. Otherwise, the head very quickly dry out and will not be fit for human consumption.
The refrigerator cabbage also store can not - indoors it is "suffocating" and the polyethylene begins to rot. It is best to store cabbage to use the basement: cabbages must first be a bit dry, and then hung from the ceiling by two. If the balcony in an unheated flat, it is possible to organize such a store and at home.
Garlic is a fussy storage conditions than the bow, However, the total of these products also have: head and garlic, and onions need to dry thoroughly before storing. Then onion heads include 3 variants of storage:
Wherein onions can be stored directly in the kitchen - dry air will prevent germination. With garlic a bit more complicated: The dried heads can simply dry out, so it is recommended that "clog" paraffin or wax. After that garlic can be stored as well as the bow, in an area with limited sunlight entering.
Potato is on the table, and on weekdays and holidays. It consumes the most, and few people at home do not find at least a couple of kilograms of these roots.
Fruits ripen potatoes in the dark and keep them better, too, in a place with a minimum amount of light, otherwise they will turn green, and the use of such potato in food insecure.
First of all potatoes must be thoroughly dry, only then it can be placed in boxes for storage. If you talk about the apartment, it is best to store the root of this approach unheated balcony - where you can place boxes with potatoes and do not fear for their safety.
It is important that the storage room was not too wet and not too dry, or vegetable can deteriorate - rot, begin to sprout. The optimum moisture content for potato storage - 85-90%, temperature 2-3 ° C.
Beets and carrots are stored on a similar principle.
Having thin peel carrots can easily deteriorate in violation of the temperature regime - the frozen root has to be unfit for human consumption. The optimum temperature for storage - 1 ° C, relative humidity - 90-95%. Also carrots must be constant ventilation and air access. Store carrots can be different:
- in open sacks polyethylene;
- in sand, so that the fruits do not touch each other, and the sand is regularly moistened;
- open bottle - if a little carrot, store it in a way you can in the kitchen and in the refrigerator or on the balcony, but with the onset of frost bank needs to be closed;
- smeared with clay- fairly easily soiled way but very effective;
- in conifer sawdust - a way similar to the storage in the sand;
- in boxes for storage of vegetables - the easiest way to the same as carrots can be stored in the apartment.
Legumes are best stored in closed containers to not start gnats
Beans, soybeans, lentils and other legumes require approximately the same storage conditions. Main storage condition - the fruits have to be thoroughly dried, but in order that they not threatened insects, they need to be stored together with slices of garlic or onions. This is best done in sealed cans.
Unlike other fruits, legumes frosts are not terrible, they can be safely left on the balcony. However, if there is a place in the kitchen, and room humidity is not too high, storage can be organized there.
Legumes exactly "survive" in the apartment throughout the winter and even longer, but it is worth remembering that after a frost they are not suitable for planting, may be used only for food.
In the kitchen you can store vegetables, most importantly to respect the correct mode.
Summarizing, we can say that the best way to store in an apartment suitable for such vegetables as the onions and garlic, carrots, and legumes. Beet It needs a cool place, and cabbage very choosy to storage conditions and perishable - in winter it is easier to ferment and fresh buying.
Potatoes also suitable for storage in the apartment and can successfully 'hibernate', if storage conditions comply. Store potatoes in small batches and better ensure that it is not exposed to sunlight and do not germinate.
The best option for the storage of potatoes will be organizing a special place reserved in the kitchen or on the balcony, and playing the role of a mini-vegetable store. Such a place can be made as to, and buy.
Store vegetables in plastic crates best
As is clear from the text above, the easiest way to organize the storage of vegetables in boxes that can be placed in the kitchen or on the balcony. When choosing a container for long-term storage of vegetables is a special room must be considered the following factors:
- material, material of the box;
- volume packaging;
- Availability and the number of vent holes;
- opportunity convenient placement and use.
In these boxes, you can store onions, potatoes, carrots, beets. Ventilation openings should be mandatory, otherwise the vegetables can "choke" and deteriorate. Air must circulate freely, a room - ventilated from time to time.
For "home" store vegetables in the kitchen or balcony do not need to take too big boxes, volume of 20 liters is more than enough.
Plastic crates are simple to care for, inexpensive and durable
The best characteristics are plastic boxes, containers for storing vegetables according to preset parameters:
- they are available
- in different volumes
- plastic whose composition does not affect the fruit stored in them;
- such boxes are perforated bottom and on each side, available with or without a lid;
- often plastic boxes equipped with handles, to them it was convenient to load and get out of their vegetables;
- designed for stacking design It allows to set the boxes on top of each other, and the metallic inserts vegetables protect against bursting upper tiers;
- plastic It can withstand a wide temperature range, they are not afraid frosts and summer heat;
- This kind of packaging reusable, it can be used many consecutive seasons.
Wooden boxes are strong, but they are easier to transport vegetables, and do not store
Boxes made of natural wood is not as durable as plastic, they are used for more careful transportation and storage of vegetables:
- boxes reinforced design metal inserts;
- ventilation It occurs due to the gaps between the boards;
- wooden boxes more heavy, do not have a pen, they are not so convenient to put on each other, besides them quite easy to damage;
- should not be considered wood boxes for multiple uses by more than 1 season, but as temporary measure they should be fine.
Cardboard boxes are fragile, but the basket of twigs will look in the kitchen wondering
Although such boxes and are made from several layers of cardboard, it is understood that they are not suitable for refillable:
- paperboard is very critical to the humidity, it may bend or selling;
- even with careful handling such boxes not survive more than one season;
- they are usually of small size, have small vents.
How to store vegetables, see our video clip:
Organization of the vegetable store with their hands
Not all vegetables are normally stored in conventional boxes, so you can attend to vegetable store - a place in which to be a certain temperature.
Make a simple store, but as a result you can always have a home small supply of vegetables - potatoes, beets, carrots.
About what you need to think in advance:
- box size It depends not only on the area which it can be identified, but the number of people living in the apartment;
- if you plan to use a cellar as a main storage of vegetables, he It must be insulated, otherwise, cold vegetables will freeze;
- to make such a box can even scrap materials - for that is how natural wood and chipboard board, plywood, you can even use the old unwanted furniture.
Before embarking on calculations, you need to decide what form factor the vegetable store is most convenient - it can be a likeness of the dresser with pull-out shelves, drawer with vertical load or cabinet with doors. The last option is the most convenient to use, it is easy to arrange access.
How to store vegetables in the home, and how to make the house comfortable for the storage boxes of potatoes, carrots and other vegetables, see our video:
chest of drawers with a plan to realize the most difficult, especially when talking about the organization of warming, and a box with vertical load, on the contrary, make a simple, but using it is not very convenient.
The insulated box can store vegetables in the cold balcony
On the balcony of the repository will be constantly exposed to temperature changes even during one season. It can cause rotting planks of which made the vault, and its damage. To prevent putrefaction due to excessive moisture must attend impregnated wood which protects the wall box from moisture and temperature extremes.
You should also think about the insulation of the floor balcony, if it is not insulated. Despite the fact that the storage box itself will be warmed by itself, cold floor can cause spoilage of vegetables in storage.
If the vegetables are stored on an unheated balcony or a loggia, you need to make sure that the temperature does not drop below 0 ° C.
But having equipped a "store" in the kitchen, you can store all the supplies
On the storage plan all the dimensional characteristics must be taken into account future storage with the wall thickness of the insulation. Do not choose too complicated structure, if not previously had to do anything like that.
The frame is made of wooden beams. First formed the bottom, then the side uprights, the latter forming the box top. For the bottom and the top is best to use a pre-made rectangular frame size box.
Sheathing and insulation frame
the inside ready karsas sheathed with boards or plywood, chipboard - what is available, and the outside - insulation. box cover is made of the same principles, attached to the storage on metal hinges.
For convenience, you can take care of indoor lighting box, besides, it's another way to increase the temperature. You can use manual or automatic switch that build, of course, difficult, but to use it much more convenient.
As a repository can be used and more "improvised" means - for example, it may be an old unused for its intended purpose refrigerator. However, it is quite cumbersome, so if there is a question about the optimal use of space, you can use other ideas.
Here is a bench will also serve as a good furniture
This refers to the creation of storage with pull-down or sliding (a more convenient option) doors, the upper part of which serves as both a bench. This box is much more convenient conventional storage as you can put it anywhere:
- on the balcony, there having equipped comfortable seating;
- in the kitchen, using a bench instead of a pair of three seats;
- in the corridor, if there is a place and just is not enough to sit where.
producing such a box is similar to the principle of the above, with the only what you need to organize a top seat and the frame itself must be strong enough to withstand the weight of a human. Also worth special care by strengthening the bottom and top of the box, but otherwise this is a common repository, only more convenient.
Caring for the box-vegetable store not extremely difficult - it needs to be keep clean and make sure that no insects are bred, which could damage the fruit.
Also can not be allowed to get wet box excessive moisture will spoil him and contents. You can use this box at any time of the year - it is useful to store the summer seasonal vegetables, if they bought lots.
An interesting idea is everything a small storage for fruits and vegetables
In these boxes is convenient to store a small amount of vegetables needed daily
Comfortable and beautiful like this to build a storage facility for vegetables
Wicker basket - a great alternative for boxes
As you can see, everything for home storage of vegetables - it is not difficult, even if you do the entire scope of work on their own. Meanwhile, it gives an opportunity for people who have no cellar or basement, store vegetables as long as possible, retaining nutrients and vitamins.
We live in a private home, so the vegetables are stored in the cellar. But the idea of everything a home store for vegetables I loved madly. My grandmother left boxes, the sight of them, of course, shabby. But if refresh their condition, I think will really cute. I want to make box-bench. Only the first is worth taking care to not leave splinters boxes. And if they do paint, you get this beauty!
I agree that such boxes - this is a very practical and convenient, especially in a small kitchen, where so little space. The place is really saved. I make such boxes in the country. Made their wood, they just fit perfectly into the interior of the wooden house. Thus they not only help to save space, but also perfectly decorate the kitchen.
Very beautiful boxes, I still love to do crafts of plastic-boxes is also not bad at)